|Home | Contact us | Links | Archives|
The meeting was opened by Hon. Stephen Kalonzo
Musyoka, Minster for Environment and Natural Resources and the Lead Mediator
of the Government of Kenya to tha IGAD Ministerial Facilitation Committee.
The meeting was attended by Hon. Augustine Nshimye, Minister of State for
Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Uganda and Acting Chairman of the IGAD
Council of Ministers; Hon. Seyoum Mesfin, Minister for Foreign Affairs of
the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia; Hon. Ali Said Abdella, Minister
of Foreign Affairs of the State of Eritrea; Hon. Mohamoud Al Youssouf,
Assistant Minister for Foreign Affairs, In-charged of International
Cooperation, Republic of Djibouti; Hon. Mirugi Kariuki Assistant Minister,
Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Republic of Kenya; Amb. Abdirahman Ali Numeri,
Ambassador of Republic of the Sudan to Kenya, representing the Minister for
Foreign Affairs Of Republic of Sudan; Col. Peter Marwa represented the
Executive Secretary of IGAD and Amb. Mohamed Ali Foum, African Union’s
Special Envoy for Somalia, represented the Chairperson of the African Union
Commission also attended the Ministerial Meeting.
- Applauded the Somali National Arbitration Committee for their tireless efforts on the distribution of Parliamentary seats for the Darod, the Dir and the 5th Clan and urged them to deal with the outstanding issues regarding the section process.
- Congratulated the sub sub clans that have submitted their lists of Members of Parliamentary and urged the remaining clans to embrace the same spirit.
- Mandated the IGAD Facilitation Committee to continue receiving the remaining lists from the respective sub sub clans on their behalfe within the next two days.
- Acknowledged with appreciation the readiness of the African Union to deploy, at an appropriate time, a Military Observer Mission to support the outcome of the Reconciliation Conference and the transition in Somalia.
- Urged all Somali parties to appreciate that security is a prerequisite to any form of development and called upon them them to cooperate with the African Union and the rest of the International Community towards this end. In this regard the Ministers reiterated their resolve to undertake at an appropriate time a briefing mission to the Commission ot the African Union and the United Nations Security Council.
- Thanked H. E Ismail Omar Guelleh, President of the Republic of Djibouti, for hosting sponsoring and addressing the high level dialogue between the IGAD Ministerial Facilitation Committee and the Somali Business Community.
- Applauded and endorsed the decision made by the Somali Business Community during the Djibouti meeting to contribute to the creation and protection of a stable and secure environment, support and participate in economic reconstruction of the New Somalia.
- Welcomed and endorsed in principle the international Community’s elaborate draft support plans for the post-conference period especially in the areas of Stabilization, Rapid Assistance Programme (RAP) and the Reconstruction and Development Programme (RDP).
- Thanked the IGAD member states, Partners, and the International Community for their financial support and appealed to them to continue supporting the process until its successful completion.
- Thanked the Government of the Republic of Kenya for according for the cordial reception, warm hospitality and for successfully hosting the 9th Ministerial Facilitation Committee Meeting.
- The Ministers agreed to meet again in Nairobi
on 19th August, 2004 for the swearing in of the selected Members of
Parliament and subsequent inauguration of the Transitional Federal
Government of the Somali Republic.