|Home | Contact us | Links | Archives|
Sir, with the Republicans recently routed by the Democrats in the US mid-term elections, and the French on the verge of electing their first female President, election fever is beginning to stir in Somaliland. There have been spate of articles already tossing their hats into the ring as to who is going win the next Somaliland presidential elections.
From the humble shepherd to the sophisticated urban dweller, from the student to those of us living in the diaspora, may Allah bless us all, we are politicized. So, for all those gearing up for the hustings (the campaign), here are several points to get the debate going.
1. Will the opposition parties Kulmiye and UCID contest the election under a single banner? i.e. Maxamed Mahamud Ahmed and Fasyal Cali on the ticket?
2. Will UDUB have President Rayale and his current vice-president still on the ticket? Or is there a movement to have the current foreign minister elevated?
3. Will we have the debate of a rotating Presidency?
4. Will UDUB campaign on the progress made with regard to peace, stability, development? Will their emphasis on diplomacy and dialogue stand the test of the voters?
5. Will the opposition parties use their gains in the parliamentary elections to mount a credible presidential campaign? Or will they bicker and split the votes?
6. Are there election campaign experts currently working in Somaliland?
7. Will the issue of the Golaha Guurtida cloud the elections?
8. Will the parliament’s inability to perform its duties be a burden on the opposition parties?
9. Will the people of Somaliland realize how crucial the next Presidential elections are? or will they once again be entertained with political mud-slinging?
10. And finally, will the victor or the defeated have the good grace to accept the results, or will there be fissures festering for the enemies of Somaliland to exploit?
Although there is still quite a way to go, Insha-Allah, when the day comes for the people of Somaliland to caste their vote for their choice, whether it is the current incumbent, President Rayale or the prospective candidates, one thing is for sure, this election will, by far be, the most important in Somaliland’s history and will have serious repercussions for its future. So, my humble advise is to listen, learn and decide.